Friday, October 7, 2011

The Big *One*

Usually a person is only given a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for the story I am about to tell. For me the story is rather simple, but nevertheless, it's amazing, and it continues to change my life every--single--day.

It was the end of Fall Semester, 2010. Finals week was a full-blown disaster as usual consisting of late nights with literally no sleep, and mountains of papers to write and review. I was a mess--to put it lightly ;) Anyway, DSU always offers a winter formal around that time of year, so I was pretty excited when I saw the fliers appear on campus. I always have enjoyed going to dances, and this is the closest dance to a formal or prom, so it's an excuse to dress up (as if I really needed one! ha!) So I asked my parents permission to stay out a wee bit later than usual so that I could go and have a good time, however they were adamant that I needed to *go with* someone. Ugh. Luckily I knew there was a good guy friend I could go with and I was pretty excited since he was really nice, and kind of cute, but unfortunately he copped out at the last minute, and I remember just rolling my eyes and thinking "oh, well this figures!".... Ha! If only he knew! (Uh oh, he might possibly read this-- no worries Mister Date Cop-out-I still consider you my friend!) Anyway, then I decided to ask another girlfriend to go with me and she thought she was going to be able to go, but then she had another commitment, so there I was Friday night December 10th, 2010, dateless....

That night also was the night of a home school event. So I went with my parents and sisters to do some Christmas caroling at the high rise. It was so much fun that I kind of forgot about all of my lonely woes! I was having a great time bonding with some of the other members of the homeschool group, especially this darling little boy who kept telling me that I was "his girl"! So adorable, right?!?! Anyway, the whole event was really great and it reawakened my spirit. I prayed right there, and right then that I would have a great time at the dance. 

After caroling, we all came back to the house, and I set off to my bathroom to start curling my hair-despite my parents' grumbling about not having a date. I smiled and told them I would not be alone, and I knew that I wasn't because God was with me that night. Sounds cheesy, right? But He was. Believe me. So I dressed up in some of my finest boots and leggings and I hit the floor. It was exactly what I needed! Some girls I knew actually ended up being there and it was so fun to dance with them! They also happened to have this really cute guy friend that seemed to be a part of their group too. As the night went on I inched closer and closer to him. I could just *tell* that he was a good guy. First, he looked dang good in his Charlie Brown Christmas tie, and second he seemed like he was having a really good time too (and he wasn't drunk, so that was a plus too! LOL!) Anyway, I finally got his name from another girlfriend of mine, and I was determined to talk to him!!! I never did get the nerve to at the dance, just because it's kind of weird shouting to someone you really don't know... So I did the old facebook trick (Yes, I cop-out too, so I'm not one to judge!) I still remember opening up the chat screen and typing h and then i. I sat with those letters on my screen for like ten whole minutes before hitting enter, and as soon as I did, I swear to you I ran like heck away from my computer, just because I was so nervous! (Might be hard to believe if you know me well! I'm normally not a nervous person!) It sounds so silly now, and you can feel free to laugh, because it makes me laugh too :) As soon as I heard the chat "ba-boop" at me, I was probably one of the happiest people in the world, because I did it--well sort of ;) 

This young man and I corresponded for all of Christmas vacation and it was so exciting to learn new things about him every day. We would ask each other random questions, and get giddy when the other one would make hints about attraction. We finally met for our first date--China Moon. I had worked all day in the Pamida Pharmacy that day, so I was pretty tired, but I was still so excited!!! I was kind of scared though because I had never eaten at China Moon (feel free to gasp and tell me that I'm a terrible person!). We sat and talked for probably two hours that evening. It was truly wonderful! 

We continued to correspond and met up for a few other dates. Finally it was January 21st, 2011, and I knew the moment that I woke up that day that it was going to happen, and it did. I asked him if he wanted to be "official" and he said yes. Let me tell you it was one of the best "yes's" I have ever heard. And even to this day, I still get giddy thinking about it. 

Since then my life has changed by leaps and bounds. Not only am I completely in love with this young man, but I know that we were made to be together, and if anything different had happened on the night of December 10th, 2010, then we might not be together. Our fates had intertwined because God had made it so. I thank Him every day for that too :) 

So yes, I know this was an incredibly long, and personal post, but you're all my friends, and even if you didn't read it all, that's okay :) I guess all I really wanted to say is that sometimes you've got to take a chance, and go out of your comfort zone a little bit. Remember the old cliche too, that love always happens when you're least expecting it. :) 

1 comment:

  1. Such a lovely post Catheryn! I agree with the ending that you have to take chances. I also definitely agree that love happens when you least expect it. I am so glad that you have found the one! I remember back in high school and the beginning of college that you were kind looking for that mister right. But once you just were content and left it in God's hands it happened! Isn't it just wonderful how things happen like that?

    ReplyDelete