Thursday, October 27, 2011

Going the Distance---Feed It!

Greetings fellow bloggies! I apologize about the delay of this post, but the last two weeks have been full of writing papers for classes and readings! Yes, it's Midterms...already! Where has the time gone? It seems like every year of University has gone faster and faster for me. Luckily, I think I just finished up with the last of my assignments for the week, so no worries, I am not procrastinating right now! ha! But just to give you an idea of what my midterms were like, I had to write 35 pages worth of material for different classes, (5 papers total), plus all of the normal readings, plus studying for two tests! Yikes! Haha, well enough about that! I'm sure you've been anxious to hear a bit more about my diet, not my crazy life. lol

Before I get in too deep here, I do want to make a quick disclaimer that I forgot to make in my last post. I forgot to mention that anyone with injuries, or any other health issues should definitely consider talking to his or her doctor before starting any exercise or diet regimen. You should check your BMI online too, and make sure your weight loss goal is not too low for someone of your size. If you're still uncertain, again, I recommend talking to a doctor or a nutritionist to make sure you're heading in the right direction. I do not want anyone getting injured or sick because of my posts! :) 

Anyway, now for the yummy talk! haha! I have three words that I want you all to envision: lean, clean, and green--that is how your diet should be if you really want to cut weight and be healthier (and happier). This means to avoid foods high in fat, calories, unnatural sugar, and chemicals/preservatives. Sounds hard, right? Well, it's not as hard as you'd think. Try substituting slowly at first, like try adding Truvia to your tea instead of a teaspoon of sugar, substitute a cup of hot chocolate (made with hot water, NOT MILK) instead of having a full size candy bar, or try a few Saltine crackers with a *thin* layer of peanut butter instead of having a piece of white bread *smothered* in peanut butter to satisfy those sticky cravings! Small choices make a HUGE difference! 

As time goes on, and you get used to the small changes, start incorporating a few more fruits. (Yes, I appreciated making changes slowly because I knew I'd give up otherwise.) Some of my favorite fruits are apples, raisins, craisins, bananas, kiwi, watermelon, peaches, and pears! Fruit is great because it's portable! Stick an apple in your purse or your backpack and have it for a snack! I promise it's much more satisfying than a bag of Cheetos! *Natural* almonds are a great snack too, just make sure that there is no extra salt or flavors added, as these are generally not 'clean' ingredients. Luna bars are also a great pre-workout snack, or meal replacement! They are 70% organic and they're really high in protein! They taste yummy too! If you want I may even try to do a favorite food post each week to give your more healthy ideas :)

My diet now is pretty strict, and you're probably wondering what I've incorporated now. Well, I usually have cereal in the morning, such as Kashi Go Lean, or Fiber One. I always have a cup of coffee with Light, French Vanilla Coffee Mate liquid creamer because I'm naughty ;) And, I always have a multivitamin. For lunch, I really like Oatmeal (made with water), light fat-free yogurt and fruit, or I'll have fat free cottage cheese instead of Oatmeal. Or sometimes a reduced-sodium soup, or cereal again. Just remember to have a large serving of fruit with whatever you eat, and keep everything else light. For snack, I love having Crystal Light Green Tea Instant Drink Mix, in any of the flavors, because Green Tea is so good for you, and it's yummy too! I always have fruit and usually almonds too. For supper, it really ranges, but I just try to watch portions of whatever I have. Just listen to your body; it'll know when to stop :) For those late night snack attacks, go with fruit and a cup of warm, decaf tea. It'll really hit the spot and help you unwind! :) 

Just remember, don't beat yourself up if you mess up! It's okay to have a sweet every now and then. (Heck, I even had two cookies today! haha) But just remember that moderation is key. Try to drink lots of water (half of your body weight, in ounces, every day!!!) and repeat after me: Lean, Clean, Green! :D 

Comment if you have any questions! You can always message me on Facebook too if you need support! I want to be here for you!! The ToneItUp community also has some really great tips on healthy eating too!  Happy Snacking! :D 

No comments:

Post a Comment