Sunday, February 23, 2014

Mirror, Mirror...



When you look into the mirror who and what do you see? Our reflections hold a lot of things. Hopes. Dreams. Truths. Lies. Morals. However, so much more is seen in the glass than our own form reflected. Sometimes we see distortions; and we believe these as the truth. Believing our own distorted views of ourselves, and the world, holds us back. What is even more opposing than believing our own distortions is trying to create distortions in others.

I don't know about you, but something I have noticed is that whenever I feel inadequate about myself, I subconsciously try to stifle it, and then it comes back around like a boomerang. My eyes will dart across a room and I will instantly begin to label people. I'll compare, I'll stereotype, I'll scoff, and I'll laugh. These cruel, and not to mention poisonous, thoughts are negatively impacting my own chances of regaining a true view of myself.

To combat this, I think of all the times I have been laughed at, stereotyped, and scoffed at. I remember what it feels like to be a victim of someone else's insecurities. Then, I make a plan to fight these false pretenses I have created. I tie up the laces of my running shoes and I hit the track. On the roads, I lose the earthly binds and temptations that try to suck me back down. My anxiety dissipates with every step I take, and my self-consciousness vanishes at every mile-marker. Then a smile begins to tug at the corners of my lips, and I gain clarity of the world once again.

I can completely feel the truth behind what Roberta "Bobbi" Gibb, the first woman to finish the Boston Marathon, once said, "I thought about how many preconceived prejudices would crumble when I trotted right along for 26 miles". To break and change so many peoples' minds about what is physically possible is astounding. This goes for anything! So many people will try to tell you 'no, you can't do that', but the truth is YES - yes, YOU CAN, even if it is nothing to do with physical possibility!

People will try to label you, stereotype you, and even criminalize you when you do something out of the ordinary, or walk to a beat that's even slightly different than their own. But what you must remember is that their comments are not about you. Their comments, no matter how hurtful or hateful, are their own insecurities seeping out - and that's the ugliest thing to see of all.

So instead, let's make a pact to be beautiful/outstanding together. Let's channel OUR insecurities and do something POSITIVE. Let's break down those preconceived prejudices that solely exist because we THINK that there just has to be 'NORMAL' people and 'WEIRD' people. To me, when I see another human being, my first thought will be to see the reflection that we need to see in each other- the reflection of a longing for love, kindness, and caring actions. Be the reflection you want to see. It all starts with loving your own heart by breaking your own binds - once you learn to set your insecurities free - everyone can be free

No comments:

Post a Comment