Saturday, January 4, 2014

New Beginnings

As a new year opens and 2013 closes, many of us may be thinking that it is time to open a new chapter in our lives. Every year millions of folks all around the world make resolutions to change themselves for the better - whether they are letting something go, or promising to do something more - it is a time of new beginnings for us all.

So what does the phrase 'New Beginnings' mean to you? Well, if nothing's coming to mind, then I urge you to watch this beautiful commercial from Google. Not only does it have a great message, but it is beautiful to watch. 



Like this commercial, our lives are beautiful to watch too. Maybe in the day-to-day we do not notice the small changes taking place in our lives, but they are there. This year I am making it my duty to be more perceptive to change and to appreciate even the smallest of new beginnings. 

For this year, I specifically resolve to drink more water (at least 50 oz every day), run a half marathon (specifically the Brookings Half Marathon in May), read at least one book every month, to let go of my insecurities, anxiety, and OCD tendencies, and to write one blog post every week (even if it's short), and reestablish my YouTube channel. 

I really want to document the year 2014 - so that I can focus on the positive growth in my life. After a somewhat tumultuous 2013, I happily close the door, and look forward to all the new experiences 2014 will bring. 

What are your resolutions for 2014? How do you perceive the phrase 'New Beginnings' in your life? And, how do you plan to notice the everyday new beginnings that you have been given? 

2 comments:

  1. I prefer "goals" to "resolutions," just because the term goal feels like it's something worth working toward rather than maintaining.

    Anyway, I have some more general things I'd like to do, but the most prevalent goals are to get back into running and then maintaining that goal, and to learn Japanese (or at least know enough for some rudimentary communication) within the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Andrew A. Koerner - That is a great point! I think many people do see 'resolutions' as a pesky thing that they HAVE to do just because they said that they HAD to do it. It's harder to break down into something obtainable - something REACHABLE - which is a goal :) That is why it is so great to be specific with a promise you make to yourself!

      Good luck with all your goals! You're gonna rock 'em out, I'm sure! :)

      Delete