Wednesday, December 19, 2012

A Winter Fairy Tale


It all began when I closed my eyes and whispered my wish to the snowflakes drifting across the night sky as they softly hit my windshield as I drove to the DSU formal dance of 2010. Just a few weeks previous, tears had streamed down my cheeks as I thought about all of the wishes I had made in my past. I knew there had to be more to my 'provincial' life I had experienced. I was tired of feeling naive and that I was reliving the same day over and over again. Little did I know that I would soon encounter the best, most thrilling adventure yet - Love. And yes, Love is more thrilling than any book I've read, or tale I had heard.

That, my friends, is where Belle and I have a lot in common. We're both a little odd, both book worms, adventure-lovers, and dwell in our futures (and in our imaginations!). I've encountered my fair share of beasts too, and no.. they did not turn into handsome princes. I know some fools, some boasters, and my parents have their strangeness too (sorry mom and dad). I sometimes don't fit in with my peers, and I sometimes feel like an outsider. But, these things have never entirely stopped me from believing.

My belief is what has brought me here today. For two years ago, I met the most amazing handsome prince you could ever imagine! (You can read more of that tale here). And recently, he took me on a romantic adventure to a land far, far away (also known as Omaha, Nebraska.. and no, it isn't really *that* far away! haha).

My entire life I have loved going to the theatre. My grandparents always took me to shows growing up, and would buy me a front row seat to see Grease, The Sound of Music, Suessical the Musical, Lost in Younkers, Joseph and the Technicolor Dream Coat, Charlie Brown, and many, many more. I loved the excitement and the energy behind those actors and actresses, and often wondered what it would be like to experience that transformation of the stage. Sitting in that audience though, dressed in my best, and spending that time completing immersing myself into those stories was truly magical, and I often miss, to this very day, those times.

Since I have such a love for story, and theatre, this year I wished to be taken to a show. Not just any show, but the show - Beauty and the Beast. I had never seen it performed live, and since it is my favorite fairy tale, I knew I had to see it! Being as blessed as I am, my very generous handsome prince was happy to oblige, and so we made our journey to Omaha.

Once in Omaha, we experienced the ever-confusing roads, the Von Maur Mall (gorgeous shopping centre, by the way), and the Cheesecake Factory (yum!). It was a world class experience to say the least! The best was yet to come, though!

We drove across Omaha to get downtown (again fighting the very confusing roads), and admired their vast array of skyscrapers and swanky cafes. The whole entirety was gorgeously lit, and took us back to the yesteryears as my heels clicked on the brick roadways.

As we approached the Orpheum, I knew I was about to experience something unbelievable, and it was. Magic was in every crevice - through the winding staircases, the stunning chandeliers, the beautiful statues, and the lovely artwork - everything was perfectly fit in its place.

We ascended into the heavens of the balcony, and sat on the classic red velvet seats, and anticipated the grand opening. A holograph of a single rose finally graced the stage as the story unfolded.

The singing, the choreography, the costumes, and the emotions were all perfectly on cue. I didn't miss a beat I was so entranced by the lovely stage and its story.

Days after this experience, I still pinch myself. Did this all happen? Yes! Dreams and magic can really exist and take place in this world. Even after all the disasters we've encountered, and the sadness we have witnessed. I am lucky to say that I still believe, and I hope that you do too.

x


No comments:

Post a Comment